Monday, October 18, 2010

Pure Beauty

In looking at this picture, what do you see? what do you think?  When I look at this I see a distorted face that was blacked out by the painter. But in looking at this, I wouldn't call it 'pure beauty'. Many of you may argue with my opinion but that brings us back to the fact that everyone has their own opinions and their own views on what is art and what isn't, or what is beauty and what isn't in this case.
In searching through John Baldessari's work you can argue the fact of beauty through all of his pieces of work. (Nicole)
When looking at this picture I do see a form of art. I think that taking away the natural elements of a human face is strange and although I do not consider it beauty I definitely think the fact that it is interesting and makes you take a second look at it. In a way it leaves you curious about what the other features would look like. (Erin)

This painting above can also be considered "pure beauty" to some but not others.  John Baldessari wanted to get his point across that his art is not boring.  In fact it is just different.  It brings attentiveness from people and it gives people a different way to look at something.  What if paintings were blacked out? Doesn't it just make you focus on what is there? (Nicole)
I think I view art somewhat more harshly than others that perhaps know more about the subject. Because of this I found this painting entertaining because a lot of the art we see does bore or not interest me. This vow to not make any more boring art is humorous and allows John Baldessari to make a connection with people who may not have as much respect for art. (Erin)

                 
Another painting of John Baldessari's I found is the above called "Two Figures (red) and Two Figures (green) in Different Environments." I found it interesting that in this painting the artist blurred out the figures instead of perhaps the table or glasses. It seems like the people should be the vocal point in this painting and instead you are left focusing on the settings and the table contents. Although by looking at the settings I did form certain opinions such as the top setting seems more formal and the people in the painting seem engaged in more of a proper conversation. Whereas the bottom painting seems to be in a relaxed setting and the people seem much more comfortable in this atmosphere. (Erin)

No comments:

Post a Comment