Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Controversial Chalk



Learning about Jennifer Allora and Guillermo Calzadilla was really interesting to me. The way they incorporate art into promoting social change made a huge statement and promoted debate. By welcoming people to speak about controversial topics in the bold way they did using huge sticks of chalk you can tell they are not afraid of feedback. I think it is often difficult to open yourself open to such ridicule and they handled it very well. This also allowed visitors to become an artist in the piece. It provided people with the tools to express themself in an artistic manner. I can only imagine some of the statements that were written during the time of this and I am sure it is a significant memory for the people that participated.Their artwork became an experience and because of that I think this was one of my favorite pieces this semester. Connectiong with your audience is the best way to captivate people and allowing them to express their own ideas and opinions did just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment