Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Vija Celmins

                                      


Vija is most known for her realistic paintings and drawings. She did a lot of work regarding nature and the natural world. I found her paintings and drawings to be boring to look at possibly because I am not very interested in the sciences. These works of art appeared to me to be better suitable for a science book rather than an art course. I think the lack of imagination in these is what turned me off to them. I consider art to be a creation by the artist not a replication of something already present. I think that may be why I found it difficult to appreciate many of the works we have looked at this year because I have a hard time understanding how taking something out of its natural setting is artwork. The art that appeals to me the most is out of the box, creative objects that the artist has envisioned on their own.

              

No comments:

Post a Comment