Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Is this art?

After talking about a lot about collections and what people collect and why, I searched online for art collections. Much to my surprise I found the photo below:

                       

In my opinion a Pez candy dispenser is not art. But once I thought about it more I am sure it you asked the creator of Pez if they were art he would be quick to say yes. Understanding how different people interpret art is difficult for me. I think I could benefit from being a little more open minded but that is easier said than done. I see the creative aspects behind these characters and I do like the way they look. But, does something simply being creative make it a piece of art? If it is something that a person can display and collect is it automatically art? I guess I am searching for a defined meaning of what art is and as much as I can offer opinions there is no definite box that art can or cannot fit within.

No comments:

Post a Comment