Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Sunflower Seeds



I really enjoyed Al WeiWei's sunflower seeds exhibiton at the Tate Modern. I think the idea of you being able to step on the "art" is pretty cool. It allows the visitors to participate in the exhibit rather than just looking at it. I am a very hands on person so that appealed to me. I liked watching the video on how they make the seeds too, that way you really appreciated just how much work went into this. The extent to which Al is a part of the production of every seed is pretty remarkable when you think about how many seeds it must have taken to fill the Turbine Hall. I found the conflict going on around it interesting also. The fact the exhibit was closed due to a possible health hazard makes you think more about the logical sense behind this art. Which in many pieces of art I think artists are able to disregard logic and reason so I thought it was rare that a controversary like this arose. I would be very interested in visiting the Tate Modern Turbine Hall exhibits, they are all very drastic and different. I like the out of the box ideas of the artists they feature.

No comments:

Post a Comment